Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Shenandoah Association UCC Experience #2



On Sunday I went to St. John's Reformed United Church of Christ of Middlebrook (Year C - Ascension Sunday), near Staunton. It was started as a Reformed Church in the late 1700s and over time became part of the German Reformed, then Evangelical & Reformed now United Church of Christ. It's brick and is a remodeling of the original. A number of years ago the church experienced a fire and in another incident a fire was set via arson. Upon its discovery profanity was found to have been put on walls in the sanctuary. Apparently a few years ago that was a pattern to a few church in this area. It may have been in response to the UCC's "Bouncer Ad." No one knows. I had the opportunity after the service to talk to person afterward. I asked him what he thought of my sermon. He said it was good but that I shouldn't bring too much homework into pulpit. I didn't quite understand. So we talked some more. He said, "People can get information from anywhere but what they are often seeking is advice." In retrospect I think I understand more of what he meant. In my own experience of interacting with others, I've always been told not to use "I" in sermons, "unless it's about something you've done wrong." I sought this person's further being sagacious. He told me about an article from Christian Century magazine not long ago about "not dwelling on 'I'" but instead that it was ok to use it if doing so will make the sermon more relevant to your audience. That advice is serving me well especially since next week is Pentecost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

United Methodist News Service